Sunday, October 11, 2009

There's a man that stands on the corner of 9th Street and 5th Ave. who knows he can ask me for a cup of coffee every time he sees me. If I have money, I buy him one. Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry or if I have no money, or only have a $20 or something, I keep my eyes looking straight ahead, or across the street, or looking at something or someone else, rather than having to say "no" to him. The other day I saw him on the corner, and I had no money, I had groceries, several bags, but I had purchased them with a credit card. Whenever I have purchases but no money I always feel like he must think I'm lying when I tell him I can't buy him coffee today. As I tried to walk by unnoticed he began to speak to me, I fully expected him to ask me for money for coffee. Instead he asked me if I needed help. Boy, did I feel sheepish, trying to avoid him, and he wasn't even asking for anything, he was offering something. I guess it just goes to show me what consecutive kindness can do.... maybe now I will offer my kindness in a more willing way, and hopefully soon I will learn his name, I've been wanting to for awhile, just always feel awkward for some reason. Lesson learned, at least I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment